3.29.2009

Facebook Birthday

It was my birthday yesterday. The time when I would painstakingly plan a party, whittle my guest list down to the allowed number by my parents and worry oh so much over what I wore to said party is over. Dare I say it? I think I'm middle-aged.
I'm definitely not a twenty-something. I'm a good chunk from over-the-hill. But still, it kinda feels middle-y.

Instead of a party, I hope for extra naps, a good book (check!), eating without monitoring someone else's pie-hole, and maybe if I'm super lucky money to spend on ME (check and check). It was a nice birthday. I got what I wanted pretty much.

I got the requisite phone calls and emails from family. Dad will visit; spent time with Mom (she paid my house cleaners! woot!); brother and SIL called and we caroused; Aunt B called; Aunt A emailed - they're sick but we're doing dinner in a few days; got a card and promised gift from my Grandma; a card and VERY nice gift from my Grandpa; gift and card from my MIL, who's visiting; a great book from my other super SIL; gift on it's way from Hubby. I am very blessed.

But this year was a bit different. I joined Facebook a few months back. And I've accumulated a couple hundred 'friends'. I enjoy seeing what other people are doing now that I haven't seen or heard from in years. But it is a bit odd to receive such heartfelt birthday wishes from them when some of us haven't spoken, even on FB, in years. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to take their wishes back. I love that they made those wishes. It just feels a bit weird.

It's kind of like your twelve year old self wishing your forty year old self Happy Birthday. Think about it. Do those two people have anything in common? I'm not sure my two selves will. Similar yes, but oh so different. I'm thinking at forty, I still won't be having a planned party. I'm sure I'll be razzed about going over-the-hill, and there will be lots of death decorations. But the twelve year old in me still wants the laser tag party. Maybe next year.

3 comments:

LadyBoyd said...

Okay, remind me later in the year and we'll reserve a lazer tag place. mom

Swistle said...

For my birthday I want a hotel room all by myself. Mmmmmmm, SILENCE and REST and NO SHARING. I guess it's hard to play laser tag by myself, though.

To-Fu said...

I hope your birthday was awesome! We've been thinking of you guys. I heard you embarked on a new eating adventure. Tell?