I've been trying to de-clutter my life for awhile, with limited success. Seems just when I clear an area I find something else to fill it with.
Ethan and I have some friends who recently also had a baby boy and posted a gift-giving guide of sorts that I really liked. I thought I'd repost some of their thoughts here since I'd like to promote a lot of the same things for O that they're doing for their son.
[quoting]
After a lot of careful thought, Steven and I have made some tough calls regarding the kinds of stuff–particularly baby stuff, but also just stuff in general–that we want around our house. These decisions are ethical and practical ones that came about as an extension of our vegan and eco-friendly philosophies. . . we are trying our best to raise him to respect and revere the world, and to live a safe and cruelty-free life as much as is practically possible. In that spirit, we ask that when it comes to gift-giving times (like holidays and birthdays) you’ll join us in our efforts to raise strong kids by resisting the urge to buy “junk toys” and the commercialized clutter advertised on TV.
It’s important to us to be mindful and thoughtful about the things we allow into our home. It’s our goal to lead our family life as humanely, naturally, imaginatively, non-materialistically, and eco-friendly as we can. We’re therefore asking for your support in keeping the following out of our household:
- plastic toys/accessories
- Wal*Mart products (see below)
- things made in China (or anywhere that sweatshop labor is used and/or workers are treated unethically)
- things containing animal (by)products (like wool, leather, beeswax, etc.)
- licensed characters (Dora, Elmo, Disney, Barney, Bob the Builder, etc.)
. . .
We realize there’s a steep learning curve, but we’re excited to try it with everyone. Here are some different gift ideas:
- Spend time together. The best gift is a visit. Activities need not be exotic. A trip to the fire station, a performance, or a trip to the swimming pool with you would be special.
- Encourage his hobbies/interests (obviously, this is most practical when he is a bit older). Talk to [him] to discover what he would like to do. A class in martial arts, trapeze, music, gymnastics, or dance might be perfect. We will provide transportation and arrange the details. Each time he goes to class, we’ll remind him that this experience was a gift from you.
- Choose toys that have no real end point, or winners and losers. A box of scarves from a second-hand store, or irregular handmade building blocks, would be great. These are surprisingly satisfying to children. We love creative, nonviolent toys!
- Choose a toy you remember from your childhood-such as a hula-hoop, wooden airplane, or red wagon. A story about you as a child using that toy would be a great thrill for him.
- Make something–a hat, a kite, a checkers board. Kids sense the difference when someone cares enough to make them something.
- Honor him with a donation to a nonprofit organization that addresses his/our family’s concerns. Talk to us (him when he gets older) to find the best fit. Humane societies, environmental organizations, and food banks resonate with the concerns of many children. Even the very young understand the importance of giving. (Oxfam has lots of great donation gift ideas here.)
- Purchase natural, organic, and ethically produced toys. (See links in the post script for ideas and info.)
- No More Junk Toys: Rethinking Children’s Gifts
- Kids and Commercialism
- The Safety of Plastic
- Plastic Products at a Glance
- As More Toys Are Recalled, Trail Ends in China
- Wal-Mart Sweatshops In China: Report Released Jointly by CLW and the National Labor Committee
- Wikipedia on Criticisms of Wal*Mart
- From War Chests to Toy Chests: How to change your child’s worldview for the better, one toy at a time
- Mothering.com’s Ethical Shopping Guide (Toys)
- EthicalShopping.com: Toys
What I love about this is it makes everything more meaningful, and long lasting. I much prefer things that are organic, wooden, and do not have licensed characters on them. However, I'm not completely vegan like they are, nor am I boycotting Walmart as I have succombed to their amazing selection and great prices. But I like making myself think about what I'm buying and why I'm buying it.
We do already have a bunch of plastic toys for O; however a large portion of them are hand me downs. I love that we're recycling toys and clothes in that way. We're still using disposable diapers, that don't decompose and we're using plastic bottles to feed O too. But I'm trying to make better choices and I hope you will too when it comes to Christmas's and Birthdays. For O but also for me.
3 comments:
As much as I hate to say it, this kind of stuff is a LOT harder and more expensive than it looks. I tried to at least keep out the licensed characters and guess what? The only affordable pajamas I could find for the Mouse JUST as she hit her growth spurt into 24 months involved Dora, Cars, and Minnie Mouse.
Best of luck with the making of effort girl, because I am WAY too lazy. Keep posting about it though if you decide to keep it up I'd love to hear about it!
Good thing you put in that last paragraph!
As to wool, I think God gave it to us to use. It doesn't hurt the sheep and keeps them healthy. Beeswax? It is useful to humans as well and can be harvested wisely for the bees and our use. IF you don't use leather or plastics, what will you wear on your feet?
As to things made in China, definitely boycott as much as we can.
Vegan? I dare you!
As to sweatshops; what about all the electronics we use? Computers included!
Aw, I feel special! You quoted me in your blog. :D
Just as a caveat and in the interest of full disclosure, I realize that a lot of the choices we are making about Aesop and consumerism are choices of luxury. It is because we are at this point in our life and we belong to the social class that we do that we are able to make more compassionate choices. Compassion is expensive, and it's not always an option. We realize that. Like every other parent in the world, we're just doing what we can.
I won't get into a debate on veganism in your blog, but wanted to invite anyone to email me with questions if they are curious. It seems like there are a lot of misconceptions about it out there:
rockstarbob@gmail.com
Good on you for being a thoughtful consumer! That rocks.
Post a Comment